On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:33 AM, dblack / wobblini.net wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, David Chelimsky wrote:
>
>> thing_singleton_class = class << Thing; self; end
>> thing_singleton_class.send(:define_method, :class_method, proc
>> { "replaced" })
>>
>> Thing.class_method
>> => "replaced"
>
> Don't forget that you can do this much more concisely (unless you have
> a specific need to go the long way round):
>
>   def Thing.class_method
>     "replaced"
>   end

Thanks David. I definitely appreciate the conciseness of this, and
will use that when I know the type. The problem I'm working on
requires a solution to replacing singleton methods on arbitrary types
at runtime, so I think I have to stick w/ the more cryptic version.
Unless you have a different suggestion - I'm just getting my head
wrapped around metaprogramming and singleton classes, so all
suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
David