------art_10749_17155573.1152737073310

> > I'm writing an application that uses both Ruby's Logger and
> > ActiveRecord, but ActiveRecord seems to break Ruby's Logger, as
> > the Logger data (date, level, etc...) is not output anymore.
>
> Hi George
>
> Rails' ActiveSupport overrides the Logger#format_message method. To
> get back to the normal log formatting, you can use something like this
> in you script.
>
> class Logger
>   private
>
>   # Rails overrides this method so that it can customize the format
>   # of it's logs.
>   def format_message(*args)
>     old_format_message(*args)
>   end
> end

Nick,
Funny, I was just having this same problem with Logger and ActiveRecord. I
can't seem to get your solution to work.

This script:

require 'logger'
require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'activerecord'

class Logger
  private
  # Rails overrides this method so that it can customize the format
  # of it's logs.
  def format_message(*args)
    old_format_message(*args)

log  ogger.new(STDERR)
log.info("Hello!")

Throws this error:

/home/neilk/bin/loggertest.rb:14:in `format_message': undefined method
`old_format_message' for #<Logger:0x489cc8> (NoMethodError)
        from /ropt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/logger.rb:320:in `add'
        from /ropt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/logger.rb:372:in `info'
        from /home/neilk/bin/loggertest.rb:21

What am I missing?

--
Neil Kohl