On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Name Name wrote:

> I would like this to be portable on both linux and windows.  Seemingly
> you can only use 0-9 on windows, and none of them seems to kill a tree.
> Some of them are even undefined signals.  Can you do this process-group
> leader thing on windows?  Also , I would like to clarify my original
> question.  I meant taht I would call a parent process to open, which is
> some program.  And that program can POTENTIALLY open up other children
> processes.  The thing is I only have the pid of the parent, and when I
> kill the parent, only the parent will die.  Is there a way that I can
> kill the parent and the children that it sprang (which I did not provide
> the exec code for since they were provided by the parent itself that I
> did not code).

no.  you can't even do it reliably on unix.  a process can spawn a child which
become the child of init - eg it leaves the group.

maybe you should carefully outline what you are actually trying to do and see
what people come up with.

btw. - what's with spamming the list twice with your replies?

regards.

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength.  also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.