I would like this to be portable on both linux and windows.  Seemingly
you can only use 0-9 on windows, and none of them seems to kill a tree.
Some of them are even undefined signals.  Can you do this process-group
leader thing on windows?  Also , I would like to clarify my original
question.  I meant taht I would call a parent process to open, which is
some program.  And that program can POTENTIALLY open up other children
processes.  The thing is I only have the pid of the parent, and when I
kill the parent, only the parent will die.  Is there a way that I can
kill the parent and the children that it sprang (which I did not provide
the exec code for since they were provided by the parent itself that I
did not code).