Name Name wrote:
> Joel, if you do t.status after you thread off the system, you'll notice
> that it says sleeping instead of running.  Pretty much the thread will
> make the system call and then wait on that system call to return.  So
> that thread is owning that process in some respects, but killing that
> thread will in no means kill the process, since that process is on its
> own now.

Sure, that's why the Process.wait call hangs the program until you
interrupt it.

The thread owns the process in one sense: the thread continues (and in
this case finishes) when the process exits. I'm just wondering whether
it would make sense for the thread to be more closely associated with
the process. Maybe killing the thread should not kill the process, but
instead there should be an additional status result that tells you
whether the thread is sleeping waiting for an external process and if so
the command line and the pid.