On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Sean O'Halpin wrote:

> On 7/11/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius / gmail.com> wrote:
>> Friends-
>>
>>         I have seen a few blog posts where folks mention that they
>> have
>> gotten the ruby  one click installer and watir/IE running under wine
>> on linux. Has anyone out there done this successfully? My company
>> would be willing to pay someone to help us get this up and running.
>> Anyone have any tips or any more information about making this kind
>> of thing happen?
>>
>>         We are using watir as a web scraper tool of sorts for
>> scraping
>> crusty sites that use multiple  framesets and java applets and all
>> kinds of other horrible stuff that defies any type of regular screen
>> scraping short of using watir to actually navigate the sites and
>> enter data into forms to get results we need from these companies
>> sites. And we need multiple instances of watir driving the same
>> companies site at once which is problematic because internet explorer
>> overwrites its cookies when more then one of these scrapes is run
>> against the same website at once. So we are trying to experiment with
>> running watir under wine so each scaper runs in its own env and
>> doesn't step on each others cookies.
>>
>>         Any win32 gurus have any ideas as to how we might be able to
>> dynamically from our ruby/watir scripts, manage the cookies written
>> by IE so we could control where they get written and be able to run
>> two or more concurrent scrapes of the same website via watir without
>> IE overwriting the cookie it uses? My company is willing to pay
>> someone to help solve this problem. Thoughts or ideas are very
>> welcome at this point. I have asked this same thing eslewhere but I
>> know there are many smart folks on this list and I hope someone might
>> have an idea to help us out. More info available if you need it.
>>

>> Thanks-
>> -Ezra
>>

> You could try runas
> (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/
> proddocs/en-us/runas.mspx)
> to run multiple Watir (and hence automated IE) processes as different
> users, which would put the cookies in separates profiles.
>
> Wouldn't work if you're trying to run multiple IE processes via
> separate Ruby threads though.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Thanks Sean. We are already using runas I should have mentioned. THe
reason this is failing is because some of these sites have modal
dialogs and the only way to deal with these in watir is via
click_no_wait. What click no wait does is uses system to start
another process so the modal dialog doesn't block the entire ruby
process. THen when the separate process tries to re-attach to the
window there is a security error that won't let a different process
then the one that started ie bind to the window. This all goes away
if we can get a way to dynamically manage the cookies somehow. Or
under wine each instance if wine will have its own environment that
skirts the issue as well. We have been up and down the wall with this
issue for the past week and have come up with no answers yet. I do
appreciate the suggestion though.

Thanks
-Ezra