Python.org links to http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html#Ruby , saying
"Bruce Eckel thinks Ruby isn't worth learning...".

Some quotes...

"So far I keep coming to the conclusion that Ruby is just a bad ripoff of
Python, just like C# is a bad ripoff of C++ and to some degree Java"

"For some reason, the creator of the language saw Python and decided to do a
clone, and people who had never used Python thought it was a good idea.
Harsh, maybe, but that's my impression: if you've used Python at all, you
wouldn't give Ruby a second glance. "

Of course, it should be noted that Bruce is starting to write a Python book
(Thinking in Python), and so may have at some point an indirect economic
interest in Python's success. I don't think, however, that this is his
motivation for saying what he did.

But what do you think of his assessment? I have only looked at Python myself;
I don't know enough to compare them. I can say as a Smalltalk and Perl
programmer that Ruby fills a need for me, and feels comfortable.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA