Wes Gamble wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm reading through the Pickaxe book on synchronization and threading.
> I want to have a method that will basically put a MAX() value from a
> table and I want to ensure that two threads don't execute this code at
> the same time.
>
> I'm thinking I can just have my object descend from Monitor (< Monitor)
> and then put "synchronize" around the relevant code, like so:
>
> class myClass < Monitor
>
> def get_max_value
>   synchronize { max_value = do_select_to_get_max_value }
>   max_value
> end
>
> This should work just fine - correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

There is an admonition in the Pickaxe book that says "In both the class
form and when including MonitorMixin in an existing class it is
essential to invoke super in the class's initialize method."

I want my sychronization to occur in a class method.  So that would seem
to obviate the need for the super in the "initialize" block.  Am I
correct?

Thanks,
Wes