Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2006/7/8, Phillip Hutchings <sitharus / sitharus.com>:
>> If this isn't appropriate you'll have to use a container as you are at
>> the moment.
>
> I'd really like to know what problem Russel is trying to solve.  I
> never felt the need for this in Ruby - maybe he's still thinking a tad
> too much the Perl way.  Russel, any concrete problem you are trying to
> solve so we can come up with more concrete suggestions?

the suggestions by other posters will work fine.  Defining a container
class is the obvious way to do it -- I'm an experienced programmer but a
Ruby newbie -- I'm still getting my head around the subleties :)

If you are interested in what I am doing see my post on "anonymous
classes and accessors".  I wrote it last night but somehow bungled
posting it to the forum so I will redo it this morning.

Thanks to all who responded your input is appreciated.

To the world at large: I really enjoying playing with Ruby -- I've got a
couple of weeks off work (Information Security Officer at a large
university) so I have time to do some programming.   Hopefully you will
see the results up on Rubyforge before too long.  I am working on yet
another program for scanning and managing syslog data - my system's
claim to fame is that it will handle real time and periodic scanning as
well as long term mantainence with all the configuration data stored in
one place in an easy to understand configuration file.  Being written in
Ruby it is designed to be easily extensible -- if you want to do some
really clever stuff that I don't support you will be able to write a
class and have the log records passed to it.  The working name is SELMS
-- Simple Extensible Log Management System -- if anyone thinks of a
better name let me know :)

Russell