Hi,

 I was thinking of a "problem" I have:
 On my harddisc there are several recording of broadcasts made with my
 DVB-T receiver. Let it be an amount of 20 or so.

 Each recording is about 1.2GB - 3.5GB in size.

 An DVD takes 4.7GB of data.

 I am looking for a way to choose those combinations of recordings,
 that the space on the DVDs are used best -- or in other words: that
 as less DVDs are needed to store all recordings.

 It may be that this is equivalent to the "backpacker's problem" --
 for which -- as far as I know -- is no algorithm available. So I am
 should better say: I am looking for a way to find those combinations
 a fast way of attempts as for an exact algorithm, which is proofen to
 solve the problem...but...I have not studied computer science...so...

 How can I do such in Ruby best ?

 Keep rubying!
 mcc

 duck.quak