I have a nearly complete site using ruby on rails and need to integrate
either paypal or google checkout as one of the final steps. I have to
honest I've never worked with an API before. I have everythign boiled
down to a variable with the amount due. I've read about a paypal gem
that sounds pretty straight forward. But the rates for google checkout
are a little better.

I have found google's documentation for the checkout service at
http://code.google.com/apis/checkout/developer/index.html and set up a
sandbox account. It looks to my like an XML document needs to be formed
and sent to google with the appropriate information. Can anyone help me
out with the finer details about how this would be implemented in ruby?
Thanks for any help.