On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 transfire / gmail.com wrote:

> dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
>
>> Maybe Sean was right that you and I are really saying the same thing
>> in different ways :-)  At least, we seem to have converged on "send!".
>
> But Matz want's to get away from #send, and for good reason -- it's too
> likely to be overriden, which is the whole reason we ended up with
> __send__. So by it's very nature it needs to be more unique and there
> are only two ways to achieve that: make it longer or make it esoteric.
> I prefer longer.

that seems to be pretty silly logic to me because there is always a method
name that will collide with someone's design.  rather than cater to those 5%
of cases why not simply allow them to alias send to whatever they want?  it's
pretty easy to do

   class Object
     alias_method '__super_secret_send__', 'send'
   end

alternatively we could stash all the methods that need to be hidden under a
special object or name, something like

   obj.internal :send, 'msg', 'arg'

or

   obj.internal{ send 'msg, 'arg' }

or, given that it's actually a valid identifier

   _(obj){ send 'msg', 'arg' }

obviously these are just ideas, and probably bad ones, but it just seems to be
a waist of time to come up with 42 methods that won't collide with people's
own code.  why not just come up with one single way of entering an object's
stash of 'super special and shouldn't/can't be overridden methods' and use it
for them all?  then the issue is solved generically and consistently.

2cts.

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength.  also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.