Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

> You may be thinking of the X.509 and PKCS standards, which are full of
> ASN.1stuff (and of course they're implemented in the crypto libraries
> that come with OpenSSL). For all those applications, I'd say the less
> the users know about the data-representation, the better.

Yes, I was thinking of this ASN.1 code. The crypto library is highly
modular; it includes what looks like a generic ASN.1 support library.
The X.509 etc. code calls into it, but although the asn1.h public header
file does contain some items that are specfic to OpenSSL operations, it
gives the impression that it could be used for a much wider range of
applications. Of course, I could be wrong. I've uploaded the header from
openssl-0.9.8b at the URL below in case you're interested, to save you
having to get the whole tarball just for that one file:

  http://pond.org.uk/misc/asn1.h