Everybody else seems to be focusing on your "first, rest" question.  You
also asked about general coding style and correctness...

 I'm a newbie too, so take this with a grain of salt unless one of the
senior members agrees with me.  The thing I found most notable about
your code overall was the use of {  } for multi-line blocks.  This is
certainly legal, but I think it is considered poor form, as I don't ever
see it in ruby code listed here or in books.  As I understand it, the
preferred way is to use {} for blocks that are all on one line, and do -
end pair for multi-line blocks.

best,
jp