Okay, I made some changes to my code.  I was using .to_yaml, without
it, the extra characters are now gone.

However, I'm writing this file successfully yet Ruby is returning false.
So, perhaps someone would know why ? (btw, went from .docs to .mp3's)

songs = Dir['c:/mp3/*.mp3']
filename = 'songs.m3u'

File.open filename, 'w' do |f|
  f.puts songs