(Back in town...)

> > I added better RubyGems 0.8.11 support to RubyScript2Exe,
> > this week.
> >
> > RubyGems 0.9.0 doesn't work with RubyScript2Exe...
>
> Why?

It's complaining about a missing fileutils:

 .../lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require__':
 No such file to load -- fileutils (LoadError)

I did some more testing with more gems on different platforms.
The conclusion is twofold: a) The problem occurred with
RubyGems 0.8.11 as well (in combination with RubyScript2Exe
0.4.4) and b) it doesn't occur with all gems (e.g. sqlite-ruby
is a problem, actionmailer isn't).

Requiring fileutils by hand is a (temporary) solution:

 require "rubygems"
 require "fileutils"   # <<< ADD THIS
 require_gem "sqlite-ruby"

A better solution would be to require fileutils from within
RubyScript2Exe if it knows that rubygems is required, but
fileutils isn't. However, that doesn't feel good... "Which
library next?"

Which libraries are required conditionally by RubyGems?

My proposition: Do not conditionally require libraries. Not
only because RubyScript2Exe won't find these libs, but because
it's usually not necessary to do so. (I know, there are
exceptions: It's either mysql or sqlite, not both at the same
time. But at least require them at startup time, please.) I,
personally, want my applications to behave properly once they
are started: I don't want my users to see any avoidable
"missing library" message.

Statement: "All libraries should be loaded at startup time."

Regarding Rails, as an example: It's not necessary to require
ruby-sqlite when the application only uses mysql. But why are
these libraries required when the application tries to access
the database and not at startup time? I don't know.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

PS: This particular problem is a RubyScript2Exe problem and
    *not* a RubyGems problem. It's all my fault...