Hello Charles,
CON> Ruby has great potential to make these same kinds of optimizations at
CON> runtime, and as I understand it, YARV will do quite a bit of "smart"
CON> optimization at runtime.

The last time i looked into papers about YARV it does nothing about
this. It optimizes the control flow but doesn't do anything about data
based optimizations. So YARV is pretty simple, it's just that the
current implementation of ruby is so weak that there is a lot room for
simple optimizations.

Okay this is one year ago but i doublt a lot changed as there is still
no official YARV release today.