2006/7/1, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net>:
> 4. The Ruby community needs to get Ruby's performance up where PHP 4 is
> on benchmarks like this. It would be wonderful if it was better than
> Perl and PHP, but a bare minimum is to be competitive with PHP 4.
>
> On 4, I'm not sure a "virtual machine" is the answer, by the way.
> "Virtual machines", or as I prefer to call them, "abstract machines",
> were primarily intended for portability, not performance. C happens to
> be a great abstract machine, and GCC happens to be a great way to
> achieve portability and performance.

There's a significant difference between GCC and the JVM for example:
VM's can collect performance data while the application is running
whereas GCC has to optimize at compile time. This yields advantages
for the VM approach because it can better target optimizations.
Depending on application performance of a Java app doesn't differ
significantly from a C app but the programming model is more
convenient, more robust and thus more efficient.

Kind regards

robert