--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:47:47AM +0900, Michael Greenly wrote:
> Dick Davies wrote:
> > On 25/06/06, transfire / gmail.com <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:
> >> realize that the Ruby distribution itself is split into multiple
> >> packages for Debian, but it still seems like it would be better if
> >> 3rd-party packages where stored in their own space.
> >=20
> > In my experience, what ruby users want doesn't cut much ice with
> > the debian packagers.....
>=20
> I don't really buy into that much.  The ruby packagers are also ruby=20
> users.

Debian users who use aptitude to install ruby opt to let Debian handle
the installation, why do they care where all the files live as long as
it works? And if it doesn't work, I complain via Debain Bug
Tracking. And I still can install gem and tradidtional gems in
addition.

Apt/dpkg can install many files of different packages into the same
directory because you can use apt, dpkg to find and deinstall these
files again, and this is the preferred way over just deleting
them. Don't worry, let Debian handle it. It's a feature.

If you are a control freak and really need to do your own ruby
install, noone prevents you from it even on Debian. I myself
contemplated this, but settled on apt + a few gems happily.

-J=FCrgen

--=20
 The box said it requires Windows 95 or better so I installed Linux

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5