Charles O Nutter wrote:
> The dual-purposing of String ops for both bytes
> and chunks is very worrisome since it's bound to happen
> that chunk operations get incorrectly used for byte
> operations when sizeof(chunk) != sizeof(byte).

I also have this concern.

Here's radical idea.  Perhaps it is time to deprecate the str[*arg]
operation in favor of str.char(*arg) and str.byte(*arg) like operations,
making it explicit which operation is to be used.  It will break a lot
of code, but then, changing the semantics of [] from byte oriented to
character oriented operations will probably *silently* break a lot of
code as well.  All things considered, I would prefer noisy breaking.

Like I said, its a radical idea.

-- Jim Weirich