On 6/28/06, Peter Ertl <pertl / gmx.org> wrote:
> delegation is powerful, no question...
>
> > but if SomeAsset and AnotherAsset instances each hold a delegate Asset
>
> why not simply use inheritance?
>
> it's not that bad :-)

Woah... no one said inheritance was bad. Indeed, inheritance is what
is desired here. But due to constraints from both ActiveRecord and the
existing DB schema, we're just trying to find any way that works. And
inheritance won't work here. Particularly because a model class can
only map to one table. If you subclass an ActiveRecord model, the
subclass is assumed to live in the same table (Single Table
Inheritance). ActiveRecord doesn't currently support Multiple Table
Inheritance (as far as I know). Thus inheritance, sadly, doesn't work
for us here.

> waaay tooo much java engineers here :-)

Nope. Not the case. :) Just trying to solve a problem under constraint...

Jacob Fugal