Daniel DeLorme <dan-ml / dan42.com> writes:

> It's funny, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't think of a single
> *real-world* example where you'd want to access particular characters
> of a string.

I'll point you at my solution to ruby quiz #83: (short but unique)

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/197973

How would you write the method string_similarity without access to
each character?  (This method computes the length of the longest
common substring)

How would you compute the Levenshtein distance (edit distance) between
two strings without access to each character?

How would you pull strings out of a file with fixed-width fields?
With regular expressions?  Really?  What if you had a hundred fields?