Tim Bray wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Berger, Daniel wrote:
>
>>> If that is the case, then why doesn't Ruby remove *all*
>>> substring notation?
>>
>> Because it would be a disaster.  You want real world examples?  Take a
>> look at any of the pure Ruby code in the Win32Utils examples where I
>> have to take slices out of character buffers and pack or unpack them
>> into the appropriate value.  I'm guessing this might apply to Ruby/DL as
>> well.
>
> Point granted, but I bet the Win32 stuff assumes 8-bit "characters"
> and thus fixed offsets.  -Tim

Maybe I should fork a version of Ruby tailored specifically to Windows.
I'll replace all char pointer declarations with tchar pointers, set
MBCS, and automatically convert all strings to wide strings using
MultiByteToWideChar() behind the scenes, using whatever code page they
want, defaulting to CP_UTF8.

Right after I get my VC funding. ;)

Regards,

Dan