------art_47497_22162416.1151324608524

On 6/26/06, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailinglist / gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Robert. I have used that information and I am even linking to
> it. The problem I was facing was to explain why and eql? are both
> needed, and when their implementation may be different.
>
> Ok I knew I missed something.
Personally I find it quite useful to have " which I can adapt to my
needs, knowing that I can always count on "eql?" for object equality, I
might do things like this:

class MyString < String
     def  otherString )
            raise SomeException unless String  otherString
            self.downcase.eql?( otherString.downcase )

xString.new("Alfa")
x "alfa"  true
x.eql?("alfa")  false

Now I think it is perfectly sane to say, no I think this is confusing I will
keep my " and my "eql?" identical.
However be prepared that others will not ;)

Cheers
Robert

------art_47497_22162416.1151324608524--