On 6/26/06, Tim Bray <tbray / textuality.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > Are there any
> > specific operations that should be in ByteArray but not in String, or
> > vise versa?
> Well, on strings, indexing and substring operations and iterators and
> regular expressions should (at least optionally) have character
> rather than byte semantics, right?   Another example is encoding-
> normalization (combining diacritics, etc) which doesn't apply to byte
> arrays. -Tim

Those are interpretations of the data underlying the String, though.
Nothing says we can't use these sort of operations still, especially
with Ruby's dynamic objects. But I *firmly* believe that it can be
done in a way so as to not require the separation of a String from a
Byte Array.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca