On 24-jun-2006, at 18:32, James Britt wrote:

> Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov wrote:
>
>> Could we just have a normal gem/tarball publishing gateway with a
>> good Ruby API to it, using YAML postdata or such instead of the
>> simulated clicks on the forge site?
>
> This brings to mind some comments I've read about Dave Thomas' talk
> on application deployment, at RailsConf 2006.
>
> http://glu.ttono.us/articles/2006/06/23/dave-thomas-keynote
>
> I have flashbacks of WAR files and EAR files and deployment
> descriptions, none of which make me feel warm and fuzzy, even with
> the idea of replacing XML with YAML.

I am talking about something completely different. What I am talking
about is making the release of a rubygem/tarball  to rubyforge not
500% painful as it is now, because:

1) you have to click ten forms in a row just to publish one gawddamn
file
2) your only option if you want to avoid the n. 1 is to write a
script that clumsily simulates the No 1 and breaks every other minute.

Currently there are like 3 different Rake tasks for publishing gems
(all of them UNOFFICIAL) and I had problems with all of these.

--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl