On 24-jun-2006, at 8:22, James Britt wrote:

> Ryan Davis wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov wrote:
>>> Could we just have a normal gem/tarball publishing gateway with
>>> a  good Ruby API to it, using YAML postdata or such instead of
>>> the  simulated clicks on the forge site?
>> Red Flag! Red Flag!
>> Any time a nerd uses the word "just" I find a situation where the
>> problem hasn't been fully thought out and it is trivialized to
>> death.  This is why we (as a whole/on average) miss release dates
>> time and  time again. "Oh, that'll _just_ take x & y to finish" --
>> bzzzzt!
>
> :)
>
> Replace "Could we just have ..." with "I'm going to prototype ... "
> and see it it still sounds like a good idea.
>
> (BTW, I can imagine how something like that might work, but for
> very slippery values of @something, @that and @work.  And a little
> voice going, "Yeah, but ...")

I can try that in July, but I need to know how far Rubyforge deviates
from the standard GForge database schema.
Besides, for something as special as Rubyfogrge and gem distribution
I expect an obscene amount of political nitpicking. I already have
one project on me
which has that in great quantities and this is anything but pleasant
to "prototype" something with that in mind.

--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl