On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:24:51AM +0900, Timothy Hunter wrote:
> brian.mattern / gmail.com wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I started rewriting a screen capture application of mine in ruby in order
> >to test some ruby bindings for the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries).
> >In the c version, I use Imlib2 to grab screen data, but it doesn't look
> >like the imlib2 ruby bindings can do this yet. (The X specific calls
> >aren't finished).
> >
> >I next thought about using RMagick, but it seems as though it can only
> >capture the entire screen. Is this a limitation of RMagick or ImageMagick?
> >
> >Finally, are there any other ruby-bound libs out there that can grab
> >pixel data from the screen?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Brian Mattern
> >

> You can use Magick::Image.capture to capture individual windows.  Set
> self.filename to the window id:
>
> img = Magick::Image.capture { self.filename = "0x60000e" }
>
> http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/image1.html#capture

Yeah, I realized that. Meant to say "entire window" in the original
email :)

What I'd like to do is grab only a certain size region around the mouse
cursor. (Zooming in on that area as you move the mouse around.) Maybe
the screenshot at http://rephorm.com/code/elicit will clarify a bit.

I may just need to pick up the imlib2 bindings where they were left off.
--
brian