On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 06:28 +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> Lots of people use GForge and submit patches to GForge and make it
> better.  Writing an RForge would reduce the amount of developers
> submitting patches, so Tom would have to fix bugs all by himself, or
> hope somebody fixed them for him.
>
> I don't want to speak for Tom, but he's got enough on his plate that
> he shouldn't need to be maintaining an in-development RForge.
>
> In other words, a GForge clone will be a very hard project to build,
> you have to integrate mailman, cvs, svn, a bug tracker, file
> uploads, ...

So true.

Also, supporting a project like GForge would be rather painful.  Take a
read through the user forums on gforge.org and imagine fielding all
those questions, many of which come from folks who aren't too savvy with
Unix.  I don't envy Tim Perdue his job, and I can see why he sells
GForge support contracts.

Yours,

Tom