On Jun 23, 2006, at 8:45 AM, David Pollak wrote:

> I know it's also a large time suck to build a developer's project
> management
> and code management web site... but imagine building the next
> generation (oh
> no, buzzwords) Web 2.0 developer site in Ruby.  It would be a great
> way to
> demonstrate that Ruby can be used to build very complex projects
> that scale
> well (37 Signals is an excellent example, but more is better.)
> Imagine a
> 'show source' link on each page that would show someone how the
> page was
> created so that they see the beauty of R & R code.  Think of the
> benefit of
> a Ruby-based development and project management tool that can be
> used in
> businesses rather than bugzilla, etc.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.  Am I taking drugs or would this
> be the
> kind of project we could build in order to build excitement?

Lots of people use GForge and submit patches to GForge and make it
better.  Writing an RForge would reduce the amount of developers
submitting patches, so Tom would have to fix bugs all by himself, or
hope somebody fixed them for him.

I don't want to speak for Tom, but he's got enough on his plate that
he shouldn't need to be maintaining an in-development RForge.

In other words, a GForge clone will be a very hard project to build,
you have to integrate mailman, cvs, svn, a bug tracker, file
uploads, ...

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com