Hi,
I am new to Ruby and have a newbie Ruby question that i couldn't find
the answer to in the FAQ.
If this is the wrong forum to post newbie questions please accept my
apologies and direct me to a more suitable forum where i can ask newbie
Ruby questions. Thanks.

First i display a console based menu with puts statements and then wait
for input with the gets method like this..

menuChoiceString = gets

Then i have the following code to act based on what menu option was
chosen.

if menuChoiceString == "1" then
 puts "You pressed 1"
else
  puts "You pressed 2"
end

When i use this and enter 1 it goes to the second option.
It looks fairly simple syntax so i'm not sure why the if statement is
failing.
Can anyone help me understand why this would fail?

thanks

Paul