On 6/21/06, John W. Long <ng / johnwlong.com> wrote:

> The debate is over whether the designer should take the liberty to force
> the text to wrap after a certain point. In print, it is really important
> to make the lines wrap at a certain width because it improves
> readability (as do margins and other layout techniques). It's a little

To make the layout more readable like it is done in the print one would have to
specify the page size in font size units such as em or x. Pixels have
nothing to do with _text_ layout.

> different on the Web because we have the ability to dynamically reflow
> the page whenever we want. Some people have made the assertion that Web
> pages that don't force you into a certain width are more usable. For the
> most part, I'd agree that it is nice when you can resize the Web page to
> taste. But you must also understand that in giving the user that freedom
> you sacrifice the amount of creativity you can have with the design
> itself. You can't easily have images that go from margin to margin (as
> images don't normally resize on the Web), fancy borders are also much
> harder to pull off, etc...

I do not see any images from side to side (but it might be because I
do not see any images at all). If you refer to the gradients it should
be possible to align them so that the gradient appears at the right
place even if it is not from side to side.

Alternatively, browsers can scale bitmaps at the cost of somewhat
blurring them. But blurring  is not of much importance for gradients I
guess.

And yes, I would gladly trade a single fancy border, even several
fancy borders for a site that displays as much stuff as possible when
fullscreen yet shrinks to fit into half of the screen when I want to
put another window next to it.

> At some point someone had to make a decision about this and we did: we
> chose fixed-width for this design. Perhaps the next one will be different.

Is "the next one" referring to some new design that is probably going
to happen in several years or is there a plan for alternate templates?

Thanks

Michal