On 6/20/06, Lanny Rosicky <lanny / canczech.com> wrote:
> Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> >
> > In my case (on aix 4.3), I just installed the files from the zlib
> > package in the locations:
> >    /usr/include/zconf.h
> >    /usr/include/zlib.h
> >    /usr/lib/libz.a
> >    /usr/share/man/man3/zlib.3
> >
> > I didn't seem to have much trouble building ruby at that point.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I did what you did and it produced the same fault result - ie
>
> make
> make test
> make install

I had to do:
   make
   make ruby.imp
   make
   make test
   make install

I use IBM's official 'cc' compiler, not 'gcc', if that makes
any difference...

I should note that I do some other fancy hand-waving,
because I initially install into one directory and then
move everything into "the real" directory after I am
pretty sure it is working.  But that extra hand-waving
shouldn't effect this part...

> rs6000:/huge/ruby-1.8.4>irb
> irb(main):001:0> require "zlib"
> LoadError: no such file to load -- zlib
>         from (irb):1:in `require'
>         from (irb):1
> Any ideas ?

That's about all I had to do, iirc.

(2)   irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'zlib'
=> true

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =             drosihn / gmail.com
Senior Systems Programmer