At 16:12 20.06.2006, Michal Suchanek wrote:

>Well, the site is not exactly friendly to people who might want to
>save it and edit the  stylesheets.
>
>The stylesheets are referenced with absolute URLs so the page does not
>work without modifications. So are images.
>
>There is also a bug in the page as it is. It does not define
>background for all elements that have background-image. This means
>that without the images the page is hardly readable.
>
>When I tried to change the CSS to relative witdhts instead of pixel
>widths I found that there are places where modification to CSS alone
>is not sufficient.
>
>The search uses an anonymous (unnamed) table that contains the field
>and the button. With CSS alone it would be quite hard to specify
>anything for that.
>
>The code snippet has fixed size borders that produce the rounded
>edges. These borders do not play nice with expanding/contracting of
>the page. I did not look much into this but I guess that yet another
>wrapper div may be needed to format it properly.
>
>I am not sure it is of any use but here is the modified stylesheet.
>You can at least apply the color corrections.
>
>Thanks
>
>Michal

Please, DO NOT PUBLISH THE NEW RUBY WEBSITE!

PLEASE DON'T --- I REPEAT PLEASE DON'T, AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T!

The website is a joke to the trained eye.

As I just wrote to Jon Gabriele:

I think it's a mistake to break down and categorize each individual
flaw of the new Ruby website, because it's more the entirety there's
something wrong with. Too much shades and gradients, perhaps
also too strong contrasts. The gem is pretty, but not all pretty things
harmonize. It's shouldn't be accepted as a logo.

http://youworkforthem.com/product.php?sku=P0370

My advice is, if you're too lazy to whip up a new design, then keep
the current layout, but just the layout. Drop everything else, the shades,
gradients, the logo---everything you added to make the site fancy.
I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just saying that it requires a
lot of practice to master them. And ofcourse, some common
sense on when to use them and when not to.

Starting off as black white only is a very good approach, because that
is often the only way to highlight the actual content.

http://www.designmeltdown.com
http://www.colourlovers.com

http://www.useit.com/jakob/webusability

Have fun,