--+rWA/jvdqpy7yd5P0eM

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 14:08 +0900, Wayne Kelly wrote:
> Complete source code of our system can be downloaded from:
> http://plas.fit.qut.edu.au/Ruby.NET

The download page gives an ASP error message.

> Please note, that we have so far made no attempt to optimize the performance
> of our system or to provide any support for interoperability with .NET
> programs written in other languages. We have chosen instead to initially
> focus on the challenging task of achieving complete semantic compatibility
> with the standard Ruby interpreter. Once this is achieved we will move ono
> those other challenges.

Even though you have said that, I am salivating a little. Okay, really,
a lot. If I understand your project page description of your approach
correctly, in theory, your approach would out-perform YARV by quite a
bit in most test cases because it's compiled. Can you tell us how much
overhead is added by having to send all method calls through your custom
call dispatcher? If it's not much then the benchmarks should come out a
little slower than C# execution speeds ... which would just be amazing.
*drool*

Obviously, the load-compile-run is going to be slower than in Ruby 1.8,
but, assuming some pre-compiling could be done similar to what Python
does with caching .pyc files, that could be overcome.

I know you haven't focused on performance yet but if you could just
comment on what you believe the performance "ceiling" is ...

> To achieve full semantic compatibility, many sections of our runtime library
> implementation mirrors the structure of the Ruby 1.8.2 interpreter code. We
> thank Matz and his colleagues for making their source code available under
> such a liberal license that enables works such as ours. We similarly, make
> our system freely available under a similarly liberal open-source license.
>
> We are seeking keen Ruby and .NET programmers to assist with further testing
> and development (see our web site for further details).

I noticed, also, that you are funded by Microsoft and, as such, I'm sure
you're not very keen on Mono, but, I am curious, have you tried
compiling this on Mono's GMCS (their DotNet 2.0 compiler)? If so, what
work is needed to make it work there?

> We look forward to your feedback ...

Great news!

--+rWA/jvdqpy7yd5P0eM