On 6/20/06, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Unicode roadmap?"
>     on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:20:10 +0900, "Michal Suchanek" <hramrach / centrum.cz> writes:
>
> |Reading what you said it appears it would be only possible to add
> |ascii strings to ascii-compatible sttings. That does not sound very
> |useful.
>
> You will have all your strings in the encoding you choose as a
> internal encoding in the usual case, so that you will have a few
> compatibility problem.  Only if you want to handle multiple encodings
> at a time, you need explicit code conversion for mix encoding
> operations.

If I read pieces of text from web pages they can be in different
encodings. I do not see any reason why such pieces of text could not
be automatically concatenated as long as they are all subset of
unicode.

It was the complaint of one of the people here that in Python strings
with different encodings exist but the operations on tham fail. And it
makes the life of anybody working with such strings unneccessarily
hard. They have to be converted explicitly.

> |I guess that for calculation so complex that it would really benefit
> |form the fast random access of UTF-32 it is reasonable to create a
> |wrapper that converts the arguments and results. However, If one wants
> |to perform several such (different) consecutive calculations there are
> |going to be several useless conversions.
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  I feel like that my plan does not have
> anything against UTF-32 in this regard.  Perhaps, I am missing
> something.  What is going to cause useless conversions?

If automatic conversions aren't implemented at all, utf-32 does not
really stand out in this regard.

Thanks

Michal