Minkoo Seo wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've installed Ubuntu Dapper in my desktop. To my disappoint it doesn't
> have ruby preinstalled. That's still okay, because I can do it by myself.
>
> I've apt-get install ruby. Then, I've apt-get install irb1.8 because I've
> installed
> ruby1.8. Surprisingly, irb command did not work. It turned out that I also
> have to apt-get install irb to run irb command.
>
> I can't figure out why things are working in this way. Does it make sense
> to apt-get twice just for irb? Or is this my own problem and not of ubuntu
> packages?

I have been blogging more times about ubuntu and Ruby/Rails installation
woes - Ubuntu is absolutely my favorite distro, unfortunately it does
not play very well with Ruby/Rails (and programming stuff in general).

There is not even a preinstalled make - which is IMHO kind of a shame
for a linux distribution. It is one of the few distros i have met, where
you can not install rails easily (e.g. gentoo: emerge rails). Here,
you can not even dream about 'sudo apt-get install rails'. Also, there
are other packages (e.g. libopenssl-ruby) which you have to install
along the way, sudo apt-get install ruby won't do it for you.

Conclusion: Ubuntu is a very fine distro for desktop usage, but be
prepared for heavy installation session  to fine-tune it for programming
(esp. bleeding edge stuff).

Peter
---
http://www.rubyrailways.com