On Jun 18, 2006, at 6:51 PM, James Britt wrote:
> Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
>> Mat Schaffer wrote:
>>> The only downside I've found with Ruby/RoR compared with PHP is
>>> that the PHP documentation is really amazing.  The commented
>>> documents are wonderful, and there's still nothing _quite_ like it
>> I'm of the same opinion -- PHP is a lousy language, but the manual
>> works extremely well. We really ought to take a look at it and try
>> to make one for Ruby, perhaps even avoiding rDoc (yes, I'm aware
>> of rannotate, but I'm not sure it's quite enough.)
>
> Two contenders that have caught my eye are RDog and Rannotate,
> though both are flawed.  But both have cool stuff, too.
>
> Both are on rubyforge.org, I believe.

IMHO, part of the reason PHP's documentation is great is that it's
not auto-generated.  Tools are great, but they lack a certain element
that a flesh-and-blood editor provides.  A ruby documentation team
would be a great thing.

On that note, I like to write.  Is anyone actively working on core
ruby documentation?  If so, I'd like to help.  If not, consider this
a call to action! :)
-Mat