On Jun 18, 2006, at 9:12 AM, jofes lerwick wrote:
> [snip]
> What is your opinion?
> Which strategy is better: RUBY or (PHP5+PEAR+SMARTY)?
> IS it possible (with a use of RUBY) clearly seperate user interface
> from
> data model & control logic?

Although this question has been well answered, I thought I'd add my
opinion anyway.
I'm a recent convert from PHP to Ruby, and without a doubt Ruby (and
Ruby on Rails) is the way to go.

The only downside I've found with Ruby/RoR compared with PHP is that
the PHP documentation is really amazing.  The commented documents are
wonderful, and there's still nothing _quite_ like it (for Ruby, or
anything else for that matter).  Although the ruby community is
making good strides on this front.

But in the long run, I think you'll find that Ruby/RoR is worth the
effort and you'll be a much happier programmer.  I can't tell you how
much I hate writing '$this->' these days.....  Get a book, it's worth
it.  I really like Pragmatic Programmers' stuff.

Also I think you'll find the ruby community is a bit nicer (probably
because our language helps keep us happy).  The PHP lists and
channels are often too quick to yell 'RTFM!!' at you.

My $0.02.
-Mat