On 6/16/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> Not really. 1.9 is a development test area. It's not for use in
> production. As far as I know, it won't be released in the same sense
> that 1.8 has.

It is my understanding that 1.9.1 will be a production release
according to _why: http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/rubyKaigi2006.html

--- clip from blog ---
Matz announced his plan on the new stable release, Ruby 1.9.1, which
will be released at Christmas3 2007, with the Ruby 1.9.0 branch being
developed. He will keep on maintaining Ruby 1.8.x as well. If he has
to apply security patches, the forth version number (1.9.1.1, 1.9.1.x
 would be possible. Ruby 1.9.1 will include local variables, M17N
and YARV inclusion2, not some functionalities that are supposed to
feature in Ruby 2.0 such as the new GC, classbox, selected namespace,
keyword arguments and method combination. This Ruby 1.9.1 might be
numbered as Ruby 2.0, though.

It is possible to put Rubygems into the standard libraries in Ruby
1.9.1, said Matz, and he needs to talk more with the Rubygems guys.

--- end blog clip ---

pth