Pistos Christou <jesusrubsyou.5.pistos / geoshell.com> writes:

>> That impression is probably at the root of your errors here. ruby-talk
>> is a mailing list. It is *not* a webboard. ruby-forum.com is a
>> *gateway* to the mailing list.
>
> I think utter and blatant misconceptions such as these are good reason
> to augment and/or adjust the "please read" blurb for ruby-forum.com ...
> we apparently are not getting through.  :)

To be honest I wonder if some cause for misunderstanding isn't
inherent in the name "ruby-forum" itself. Technically it is a neat
piece of hackery--it's rather impressive that it can maintain the
illusion that the mailing list is a forum. Socially there is a huge
divide, as we've seen.

> Perhaps something along the lines of: "This forum is a gateway to a
> mailing list; it is NOT a forum on its own.  All normal mailing list
> etiquette and standards apply."

I'm just thinking out loud here, but the fact that these repeated
explanations haven't gotten the point across makes me think that if
people see a web site titled "ruby-forum.com", the vast majority are
going to treat it like a forum. Perhaps if it was renamed to something
like "ruby-gateway.com" or the like we'd fare better.

-Phil Hagelberg
http://technomancy.us