On 6/15/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Daniel N wrote:
>
> > While Etiquette is on the table, can someone please tell me why
> > replying at
> > the top of a post is considered bad form?

It's all about context.  If you reply inline, you have it.  If you reply
at the top of a post, you don't.

> Someone on this list (sorry, I forget who)

Eric Hodel

> has a signature that sums
> it up beautifully.  It goes like this:
>
>    "Yes."
>    Is top posting bad?
>
> In other words, the answer doesn't make sense before the question is
> asked.

Top posting also encourages (or maybe it doesn't discourage) huge
emails with none of the extraneous quoted material trimmed.  Be a
good netizen, trim your quotes and reply inline -- everyone will
benefit.

--
thanks,
-pate