First things first:

>>> When you click on Element, you'll see no mention
>>> of each or to_a, or any mention of a class that might
>>> have defined them. There is no comment on node_type,
>>> and no pointers to code, in lieu of commentary.

This is related to this:

>>> But it bugs me that that it doesn't even name
>>> superclasses. (It /seems/ to name modules, but
>>> I have no way of knowing if it's complete.)

Which isn't actually the case.  If you look at the blue title bar,
you see this:

Class: REXML::Element
In: temp/element.rb
Parent: Parent

'Parent' is the superclass.  If you click on that, you can see that
the Parent class includes Enumerable (which would account for a
default each method that you seem to be looking for).

You can find the entire source in 'temp/element.rb', which is a
pointer to code, and you can get the source for a method by clicking
on its signature (you get a pop-up).

Reading API docs is a pain, I know, but it does help to know how they
work.  Hope this helps a bit.

matthew smillie.