On 6/14/06, Pistos Christou <jesusrubsyou.5.pistos / geoshell.com> wrote:
> It's difficult not to notice that sometimes posts from ruby-forum.com
> inflame the ire of ruby-talk-only persons.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing a document drafted detailing etiquette or
> standards to which all ruby-talk-bound messages (whether MUA-originated
> or ruby-forum.com-originated, or even comp.lang.ruby-originated) are to
> conform.

My guess is that the folks who might post inflammatory messages
(inadvertently or otherwise) probably aren't going to read such a
document.

> I think we all want less ire and more joy all around.
>
> Further to that goal, perhaps all ruby-forum.com-to-ruby-talk messages
> should be moderated and require acceptance before being sent to the
> mailing list?  If the traffic is only 20 messages a day or less, I'd be
> happy to volunteer for said moderation.
>
> Pistos

I think the best moderation is that which everyone here participates
in, and which is done publicly for the benefit of other prospective
posters.

That is, if someone posts something rude, off-topic, or even just
hasn't done their homework before shooting off a message, a prompt,
friendly, brief, and firm nudge in the right direction by anyone here
is probably all that's required.

For some posts it may be appropriate to toss in a link to ESR's
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for good measure.

---John