On 6/14/06, Vincent Isambart <vincent.isambart / gmail.com> wrote:
> Windows XP does support Unicode file names, but I'm not sure you can
> use them with Ruby (I do not use Ruby much under Windows). Try
> converting the file names to your current locale, it should work if
> the file names can be converted to it. What I mean is that Russian
> file names encoded in the Windows Russian encoding should work on a
> Russian PC.

You can't currently use them with Ruby. The file operations in Ruby
are using the likes of CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW (it's not
that explicit; Ruby is compiled without -DUNICODE -- which is the
correct thing to do in Ruby's case -- which means that CreateFile is
CreateFileA).

All files are stored on the filesystem as UTF-16, though, even if you
are using "ANSI" access.

By the way, there are multiple Russian encodings, so ... Unicode is
better for this point. As I said in my previous message, I have
already planned to enhance the Windows filesystem support when Matz
gets the m17n strings in so that I can *always* force the file
routines on Windows to provide either UTF-8 or UTF-16 (probably the
former, since it will also make it easier to work with existing
extensions) and indicate that the strings are such.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca