On 6/14/06, Victor Shepelev <vshepelev / imho.com.ua> wrote:
> Oh, it's a bit hard theme for me. I know Windows XP must support Unicode
> file names; I see my filenames in Russian, but I have low knowledge of
> system internals to say, are they really Unicode?

They are UTF-16 internally. I haven't been paying attention to Ruby
1.9 lately, but when I have time and have noticed that Matz has
checked in support for m17n strings, I will be enhancing support for
Windows files to use Unicode. Currently, Ruby is built using the
non-Unicode form *only*. And no, using -DUNICODE is the *wrong*
answer, thanks. We'd have to start using TCHAR instead of char, and it
would actually mean that we'd be using wchar_t instead of char in this
case.

I've already done a similar (but more complex) project at work.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca