Hi,

In message "Re: Unicode roadmap?"
    on Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:56:02 +0900, "Victor Shepelev" <vshepelev / imho.com.ua> writes:

|> Can you show us your
|> concrete problems caused by Ruby's lack of "proper" Unicode support?
|
|As mentioned in this topic, it's String#length, upcase, downcase,
|capitalize.

OK. Case is the problem.  I understand.

|BTW, does String#length works good for you?

I don't remember the last time I needed length method to count
character numbers.  Actually I don't count string length at all both
in bytes and characters in my string processing.  Maybe this is a
special case.  I am too optimized for Ruby string operations using
Regexp.

|Oh, it's a bit hard theme for me. I know Windows XP must support Unicode
|file names; I see my filenames in Russian, but I have low knowledge of
|system internals to say, are they really Unicode?

Windows 32 path encoding is a nightmare.  Our Win32 maintainers often
troubled by unexpected OS behavior.  I am sure we _can_ handle Russian
path names, but we need help from Russian people to improve.

							matz.