Hi,

> As mentioned in this topic, it's String#length, upcase, downcase,
> capitalize.
>
> BTW, does String#length works good for you?

To have the length of a Unicode string, just do str.split(//).length,
or "require 'jcode'" at the beginning of your code.
For the other functions, try looking at the unicode library
http://www.yoshidam.net/Ruby.html#unicode

> > |also, some other classes can be affected by Unicode (possibly
> > |regexps, and pathes). Regexps seems to work fine (in my 1.9), but pathes
> > are
> > |not: File.open with Russian letters in path don't finds the file.
> >
> > Strange.  Ruby does not convert encoding, so that there should be no
> > problem opening files, if you are using strings in the encoding your OS
> > expect.  If they are differ, you have to specify (and convert) them
> > properly, no matter how Unicode support is.
>
> Oh, it's a bit hard theme for me. I know Windows XP must support Unicode
> file names; I see my filenames in Russian, but I have low knowledge of
> system internals to say, are they really Unicode?

Windows XP does support Unicode file names, but I'm not sure you can
use them with Ruby (I do not use Ruby much under Windows). Try
converting the file names to your current locale, it should work if
the file names can be converted to it. What I mean is that Russian
file names encoded in the Windows Russian encoding should work on a
Russian PC.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Vincent ISAMBART