Hi,

In message "Re: Unicode roadmap?"
    on Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:26:30 +0900, "Victor Shepelev" <vshepelev / imho.com.ua> writes:

|I suppose, all we (non-English-writers) need is to have all string-related
|methods working. Just for now, I think about plain testing each string
|method;

In that sense, _I_ am one of the non-English-writers, so that I can
suppose I know what we need.  And I have no problem with the current
UTF-8 support.  Maybe that's because Japanese don't have cases in our
characters.  Or maybe I'm missing something.  Can you show us your
concrete problems caused by Ruby's lack of "proper" Unicode support?

|also, some other classes can be affected by Unicode (possibly
|regexps, and pathes). Regexps seems to work fine (in my 1.9), but pathes are
|not: File.open with Russian letters in path don't finds the file.

Strange.  Ruby does not convert encoding, so that there should be no
problem opening files, if you are using strings in the encoding your OS
expect.  If they are differ, you have to specify (and convert) them
properly, no matter how Unicode support is.

							matz.