James Britt wrote:
> Nicholas Evans wrote:
>
>> I'm not after a full-blown IDE. They'd be working under Windows, and
>> I'm (perhaps wrongly) reluctant to open up the command prompt. I want
>> to focus on programming, and not have to bother with Windows shell
>> commands too.
>

> A big part of programming is understanding the world you live in.
>
> There is nothing spooky about the command line, even in Windows.

Agreed. Even in win32, I spend a lot of time at the command line. It's
certainly better than it used to be years ago, now that it understands
the up/down arrows and filename completion.

A command line is simple and intuitive in a different way from how a
GUI is simple and intuitive. It still has its place, and will for years
to come. Although I won't be sad if we come up with something better.

> Don't treat people like children, or they'll start acting like children.
>
> Assume the best, and let them show you otherwise.

True enough. They *are* high school students, though. Cut them
a little slack.

Still, if you've never used the command line, you can learn
most of what you need in half an afternoon.

Hal